Merkin and I have officially been married for 16 years now. Wow. Sometimes it seems shorter than that. Sometimes, as Merkin put it last night: “It seems a long time since that tiny, basement apartment in Provo. Yeah, I think we’ve come a long way. I thought I’d give you 16 great things that have happened in those sixteen years –by no means exhaustive and in no particular order. (That means I can’t
remember well enough be bothered to put them in chronological order.)
- We got married in the Los Angeles temple (LDS) for time and all eternity. (Okay, that one I know happened before all of these others.)
- We moved out of that tiny, basement apartment.
- We eventually moved out of our second apartment — the one right above the “retired” Laotian gang leader. (Actually, our downstairs neighbor was very nice to us. He put the word out that anyone messing with us would be taken out to the Bonneville Salt Flats and left to die with two broken legs. This was a good thing for us, so perhaps that should’ve been item 4. That’s okay. I’ll come up with another one. There’s plenty.)
- We had BratzBasher. (The easiest labor one could ask for. If she had been a boy, we would’ve named her after the anesthesiologist who gave me my epidural.)
- We’ve lived in some pretty great wards and met some really great people. (And some not so great, but they aren’t on this list.)
- We won tickets to attend an exclusive BNL concert. (They couldn’t be purchased. You could only win them through the local radio station.) The concert was a lot of fun, though we had to stand the whole time. It was a nice pick-me-up in the middle of a not-s0-nice semester at BYU.
- Merkin got his current job in Missouri. I love it here. It’s often sweltering in the summer, but it’s beautiful.
- We spent a week up in Nauvoo in a little house right on Main Street for a family reunion. So nice to watch the envious faces of the tourists as we sat in the lawn chairs on the porch and waved at the buses going by.
- We participated in an Eagle Scout project that recorded various people reading children’s books. The books and accompanying audio were donated to the children’s hospital. Even BratzBasher got to read for it, I think. I read The Color Kittens.
- We visited DC for a rare family vacation that didn’t involve seeing other family. We still have the video of BratzBasher in her ruby slippers, pointing at the “real” ones in the Smithsonian and shouting, “Doty shoes! Doty shoes!” Priceless.
- We canoed on the Meramec River.
- Merkin began his triathlon “hobby”. (He does an Olympic-length one next month.) I know that seems like a great thing that happened to Merkin rather than both of us, but trust me — it’s good for me, too.
- We saw Roger Waters perform “The Wall” live. A dream come true for Merkin.
- We bought this great house that we’ve since filled with 11 years of memories.
- We watched BratzBasher perform in three storytelling festivals.
- We’re still in love after 16 years. (Not that we haven’t driven each other crazy during that time, but we were both a little crazy to begin with.)
Happy Anniversary, Merkin!
Here’s to an even better 16 (and counting) more!