In a slump

We’ve been back for about a week now, and I’m finally managing to park my butt in front of the computer for the purpose of adding a post.  To my blog, not my butt.  I haven’t been feeling too spectacular lately.  I’ve had to force myself to get out of bed and do something with my days.  I’m not always successful.

Two days ago, I pulled a package of ready-made pie crust out of the freezer.  Yesterday, I got around to actually attempting to do something with it.  We had some granny smiths, so I figured I could make apple crostada — like the one Merkin and I made at a cooking class earlier this year.  It didn’t go so well.

BratzBasher had been eying the raw pie crust with an all-too-familiar look, so I specifically told her, “Don’t touch!”  Then when I went to unroll it, I discovered almost half of it was missing.  Raw pie crust.  Did she seriously think I wouldn’t realize it had decreased by 45%?  Sigh.  I looked at the second roll.  It was all broken up with no way to really piece it back together, so I figured I’d have to re-roll it.  I threw in the remaining 55% from the first roll, and it took me a good five minutes to roll it all out to a reasonable thickness. No sooner had I begun adding the filling than the baking sheet actually flipped and landed on the floor apple-side-down.  I cleaned up, shut myself away in my room, and had a good sob over what a pathetic mess I am in the kitchen.

I was done by the time Merkin got home, but I had no intention of salvaging the apple filling that remained.  Merkin sent me to the market for whipping cream and made Danish pancakes with apple filling and fresh whipped cream (including that lovely vanilla bean paste that makes it beyond heavenly).  I felt a bit better.

While at the market, I picked up some strawberries, too.  They were the nice big ones, so I decided to get some chocolate and dip them this weekend.  I’d recently listened to a book so horrible that I have no intention of admitting what the title was.  (To my credit, I did not even get past the first chapter before turning it off and deleting it from my computer.)  Before I gave up on it, the main character was eating triple-dipped strawberries.  The berries had been dipped first in white chocolate, then milk chocolate, and finally dark chocolate.  I decided I needed me some of that.

Now there is a tray of chocolate covered strawberries in my downstairs fridge.  I also folded two loads of laundry and caught up on the dishes.  I’d say today has been much better than the rest of this week.  I’ll be back on Monday with another Foo’s Favs.  Right now, I feel a bit peckish.

Advertisements

About foo4luv

I'm a married, bum-around-the-house mom with one child, BratzBasher, who is the only thing in the universe cuter than a bunny nose. I enjoy reading, crafts, sewing unusual Halloween costumes, and taking long walks through Jo-Ann. View all posts by foo4luv

4 responses to “In a slump

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: